5 Things You Can Do With Baking Soda (Besides Bake With It)
Another one of my must-have-on-hand ingredients is baking soda. This stuff is so useful in so many ways, and it's super cheap. I buy big 10 lbs. bags of it at the store and use it around the house and in my beauty routine. Seriously love the stuff. Here's some of my favorite uses:
- Make a deep-cleansing facial wash. Just mix a dash or so into a pumpful of your normal facial cleanser. Wash as usual and rinse. Super soft skin!
- Banish blackheads. Yep, baking soda can do that too. Mix about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon baking soda with just enough water to make a loose paste. Massage gently into all areas where blackheads are a problem. Let set for about 5 minutes, then rinse with warm water. You won't notice a difference right away, but try it 2-3 times per week for about 8 weeks and see the results.
- Polish your teeth. You've probably heard about this one already. But if you've tried it before and didn't care for the taste, try mixing a few drops of peppermint extract (found next to the vanilla at the grocery store) to the baking soda first. Mmmm... yummy.
- Make a soft scrub for your counters. Baking soda helps make the house more beautiful too. Instead of spending a ton of money on those soft scrub cleansers (that have a ton of chemicals in them too) I make my own soft scrub by mixing baking soda with liquid Castile soap. And, if I'm feeling lazy, I'll use plain baking soda. Just sprinkle it on the counter, sink, tub, etc. and scrub.
- Deodorize your carpets. My favorite. I will never use those chemical-filled, store-bought carpet deodorizers. My kids and pets spend time on that carpet (that's probably why it smells, come to think of it.) But I'll mix up a few cups of baking soda with several dozen drops of my favorite essential oils. I love lavender or citrus oils, but any essential oil that strikes your fancy would be fabulous. Then, sprinkle it over the carpet, let it set for up to 30 minutes and vacuum. Another plus, this will keep your vacuum cleaner bag fresh too, and give a burst of scent next time you vacuum your house.